Engine Rebuild Day 9 - Saturday July 26

Yesterday evening I changed all these engine rebuild pages for those who use a 800 x 600 resolution screen, this meant making many of the pictures smaller.  Hopefully you won't have to scroll sideways now.  Its not optimum for those with larger screens but allows you to keep the left hand pane open still for favourites etc..

I got a bit distracted today, I expect we all go into the garage meaning to do something and end up doing something totally different!  I was tidying up and I thought I'd check out the new oil pump.  I measured the various clearances out of academic interest and they were all fine.  I then decided to prepare the intake manifold and fitted all the various plugs and adaptors.  Rather than change things that aren't vital I thought I'd be ready in case the engine parts are back early from the machinist!  In others words I thought I should get my priorities right.

I need to check if there is enough room under the rear window.  I have fitted the carb on the manifold and need to measure it compared to the old manifold.

I still have to change the primary shaft on the gearbox so that I can use a standard spigot bearing. I decided not to delay this job as I need all the time I can organise when the block is returned. I am sure that the flywheel end of the crank is the same on the 289 as the 302 (which is at the machinist, so I can't measure it), so I will cut the new shaft the same length as the old one.

Here is shot of my bell housing.  I couldn't pull the shaft out so I expect its glued to the joiner sleeve inside, I need to remove the bell housing, the bolts are already out as you can see.

Having already drained the gearbox I hadn't expected so much oil still in there so its now on the garage floor! This is a picture inside. The red part is the speedometer drive.  I have to take the tube on the shaft out first - this proved a bit stubborn but its now off.

The tube removed - its only a press fit over the sleeve.

Looking at this picture, I noticed the wear mark next to the hole for the primary shaft in the bell housing.  Below is a close up.  This explains an issue I have always had with the car.  I notice a knocking noise which rises with car speed. You only really notice it a low speed though.  I thought it was a chipped tooth in the gearbox, but it must be the crown wheel hitting the bell housing. Fortunately when steel meets aluminium steel wins.  I don't notice the noise so much these days (hardly surprising now the ally is ground away) but I am going to grind some of the ally back at this point before refitting the housing.  It looks to me that the relief on the casting for the crown wheel is too low or maybe the wrong radius.

Back to the dismantling: I next have to drive a spring roll (I mean roll pin - its not a takeaway!) out of the sleeve joining the primary shaft to the gearbox. You can see the end of the sleeve and the spline at the end of the primary shaft.  I used a rather worn Allen key driver to push the roll pin out.

Unfortunately this is when it turned from being relatively easy.  I simply can't budge the shaft.  It could be that the sleeve has also someway become glued to the gearbox shaft or it was suggested to me that there might be a second pin.  I'll check tomorrow - but at this time I needed a thinking break. 

One final picture for today.  To get to the pin you have to drill a hole next to the third fixing bolt from the front of the gearbox.  It has to be at a slight angle to pass through the centre of the gearbox shaft. Having done this once before my hole is still there sealed with a countersunk screw.


You might notice that I also took the time to clean up the gearbox with some engine cleaner and my wife's steam buddy.

If I can't get the shaft out without major surgery I will have to fit the special bearing to the 302 crank, either the new one I have from Chris Cole or perhaps by removing the old one and re-using it - I did take the precaution to fit a nut behind it in the crank recess to push it out - lets see if this works!