Engine Rebuild Day 7 - Thursday July 24

Already one whole week! I am currently working through the jobs that can be done without the block and crank. 

Silencers

Today I finished removing the covers on the packable silencers. Several of the button head screws had rusted in the case.  I drilled the heads off and used WD40 (no not a new replica!) to free them off - to my surprise it was easier than expected.  The screws were very hard, I wonder if the heat cycling had hardened them?  To get them out I could grip the thread on the inside but had to remove some of the packing material.  Frank Catt is supplying me with some extra packing as some has been blown out.

In case you ever wonder what they look like inside here is the layout.  Not quite what I expected.

  

Because the silencers sit close together over the gearbox, you can't undue the middle fixings in situ.  I decided they don't do a lot so I am blanking them off. I used a countersunk screw as a blanking plug.

When I refit the covers I will use some high temperature silicone sealant to stop the various leaks I have had up until now. This sealant was available at a local PlumbCentre (what a brilliant pun).  It is rated up to 300 deg. Celsius.

Gaskets

Some jobs turn out quicker than expected but most take longer.  After finding the other gaskets easy to remove and clean up the one on the water pump seemed superglued in place.  It took an hour to painstakingly scrape off and clean up.

I checked the gasket set had the rights ones for my engine - everything is there, I tend to keep the old gaskets until I have done the rebuild, some would be re-usable in case of a cock-up.

Blanking off the pontoons

I made a start by measuring the sheet needed to fit on the inside of the engine bay each side.  See the photos:

 

It needs some tricky cut-outs to allow room for the various services to come into the bay, as you can see.  It all looks very dirty and untidy but it should scrub up OK.

Degreeing the Camshaft

A couple of days back I measured the timing of the camshaft after setting the timing chain up.  I used the middle setting of three slots in the camshaft cog - this was the one to use for an Edlebrock cam.  Well I am pleased to say that my empirical measurements matched the Edlebrock cam specification almost precisely (the exhaust opening was 1 degree too advanced according to my figures).

Tomorrow I plan to continue fitting the pontoon blanks and make a start on moving the fuel pumps and hopefully finish that job over the weekend.

NEXT